Thursday 28 March 2013

GoodRead - The Prince

Truth time: I asked for a copy of The Selection by Kiera Cass when the book came out in the UK from the publisher. I did ask for it. But then all the bad press around it happened (let's not get into that, shall we?) and so, I never read it. I gave it away and thought nothing of it.

But now we have the eNovella, The Prince, and I couldn't help but wonder... Did I react too harshly? Should I have read it despite of all the bad press around it at the time? I mean, if you look at it now, the news seems to be on the CW trying to make a series out of it. So, when I saw this on Amazon for 99p, I thought "What have I got to lose?"

In this prequel, we follow Prince Maxon as the build-up to the thirty-five girls - his Selection - brings. But before he met America and the other girls, there was one girl in his life already. And you have to wonder: if he was allowed to live his own life, could he have been in love?

This is very much for Selection fans. If you're a fan of the series, go and read this as this gives an insight to the character that is Prince Maxon. Although I know that in The Selection, Maxon came across as strong and confident. But here, we're inside his head and we see his worries and doubts.

The writing was ok. I liked it and it went smoothly. But for a series that has been branded as "The Hunger Games meets The Bachelor", it felt a tad light and fluffy for me. I was expecting it to be edgy, but this has a beach read feel to it. Not that I'm complaining, sometimes we need a beach read.

I liked it, but I'm not certain if I would go read The Selection or not. Maybe if/when the TV series happens, then I might reconsider... On the fence, I'm afraid, but fans will love it!  

1 comment:

  1. I was torn about reading The Selection after the drama but I gave it a try anyway and guess what? I actually liked it.
    It's not series but it light and it kept my interest up until the end.

    ReplyDelete