Thursday 25 January 2018

Mini Book Reviews - My Lazy Cat & I Am A Cat

If you guys know me, I love cats. I own a cat - Bagheera (he's not all black, sadly, to make him look like a panther), have a tonkinese cat patronus, according to Pottermore, and I sense I will be a cat in my next life...

Plus, I am a little addicted/obsessed to BBC One's Big Cats series (which is ending tonight and it's NOT FAIR!).

So, today seems to be the perfect time to review these two cat-themed picture books: My Lazy Cat by Christian Roussey and I Am A Cat by Galia Berstein.

My Lazy Cat follows a little girl and her cat, Boomer. Boomer is lazy, but she isn't. She does judo, yoga, swimming, biking, rugby, she has things to do. But one day, Boomer accidentally keeps the little girl from getting out of the door and she decides to stay with Boomer that day and enjoy herself at his pace...

I Am A Cat follows Simon, a house cat who encounters some big cats: Lion, Tiger, Panther, Puma and Cheetah. When he says he's a cat, the big cats laugh and say he's can't be a cat as he's too small. But as the story goes on, Simon shows the big cats that he's just like them...

I adore both of these pictures books. They are very different from each other and yet, both were simple and fun to read. Yes, I know they are picture books but I like the illustrations in both (My Lazy Cat looked like a young child has drawn it, which will make it relatable while I Am A Cat is crisp and strong, showing the cats off). Both stories are perfect for adults to read to child and, when they are older, for the children to read to themselves (though I Am A Cat might be easier to read than My Lazy Cat due to words per page and font).

Plus, the meaning behind each story is important. With My Lazy Cat, it shows that no matter how busy you are, it's important to have time to stop and take it easy. And with I Am A Cat, it shows that we have more in common then at first glance and celebrates individuality and community. And with everything that is happening in the world at the moment, both messages are hugely important.

Out of the two, I think I prefer I Am A Cat, but I think both books are perfect for the tiny humans in your lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment