Thursday 2 June 2016

Big Ass Physical Books TBR

Because last month was very heavy (murder! MURDER EVERYWHERE!!!), this month is going to be a little more light-hearted and fun. Hence today's and tomorrow's post of BIG ASS BOOKS!

Let me explain. Back in April, I asked you guys on Twitter what you call a Big Ass Book. How many pages or over does a book have to be before it makes you look at it and mentally panic-think "How in Hades am I going to read that?!". And you guys voted.



I was planning on showing you guys the thick, scary books in my TBR pile anyway, but the vote confirmed that I was going to do it. So, here I am, doing it. And it's surprising how many books I'e taken off my TBR shelves, thinking they are way over 550 pages, only to find they aren't. The trick of the spines!!!

I am going to split this over 2 posts - today is physical books in my TBR and tomorrow will be eBooks in my TBR (I have LOADS on my kindle!) - and each post will have either 6 or 7 books each. So, let's get started with Big Ass Books!

CRESS by Marissa Meyer
This only just gets classed as a Big Ass Book, with it being 552 pages (but it looks a hella lot more!). I have read Cinder and Scarlet and I really, really, REALLY want to continue with this series, but this series's books are just getting bigger and bigger! The final book in the series, Winter, is over 800 pages long! 800!!! And I keep holding off reading this as the last two books have done things to characters that has stressed me out, so reading Cress will freak me out no end. Plus, I feel scared about reading Winter...

MORTAL HEART by Robin LaFevers
Again, this just gets called a Big Ass Book with having 553 pages (557 if you include the Author's Note). I have actually read the first book in this series, Grave Mercy, several years ago and I think I enjoyed it (I gave away my copy to someone else so I can't go back and reread to be certain. Maybe this is a future buy...). So when the publisher offered me both book 2, Dark Triumph, and this book, I jumped at it. Historical novels about assassin nuns! SOLD!!! But I never been in the mood to jump into this world. Plus, with these books being companion (so you don't need to read them all), I should be able to jump into this world no problem. It's just I need to be in the right headspace...

ILLUMINAE by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
I have to admit this: I was so excited when I heard this book had a UK publisher and was surprise thrilled when I got an early copy. And with this book being written in a unique way, the 599 pages should fly by. So why, WHY, haven't I read it yet? I have no idea why. I have just let it slip by and with the sequel, Gemina, coming out in the next few months and I really want to read them quite close together, I shall read this soon... If not, you have permission to shout at me, ok?

A BRIEF HISTORY OF SEVEN KILLINGS by Marlon James
When you look at this book, it doesn't look like a Big Ass Book. My TBR copy of Patrick Ness's The Knife of Never Letting Go looks bigger than this. But while Knife of Never Letting Go is 528 pages (so close but not enough!), A Brief History of Seven Killings is 688 pages! I got this when at a blogger's event (I kept picking it up and reading the back so often, the publisher just gave it to me [even though I did actually have plans to buy myself a copy as soon as the event was over]), and was so excited. This book has won how many awards!? But this book is a book where you must FOCUS. It's not a book you can pick up and read for 5/10 minutes. You need to pay attention. And, at the moment, I am doing that "I can spare 5 minutes to read before I have to go to work" so it's bad timing on me. But I will read this! I WILL!!!

LADY MIDNIGHT by Cassandra Clare
Just when I thought I was free from the Shadowhunter world, I read a snippet from Lady Midnight from last year's YALC and I was dragged back in. While I haven't read the final 3 books in the Mortal Instruments series for one reason or another, I am very curious over where Cassandra is going to go in this 669 page volume (with extra content but not counting that... yet). I am very curious over Cassandra's other upcoming trilogy, The Last Hour, but I feel I need to read this before I go anyway else. I mean, it's Cassandra Clare, how bad can she make it? *reads fellow book bloggers reviews/reactions* ...oook. Read this when I'm on holiday - I sense long sleepless nights ahead...

AMERICAN GODS by Neil Gaiman
I got this from the publisher after chatting about Neil Gaiman. I wasn't fishing for a copy. Honest! I was talking about the upcoming TV show and how this is The Gaiman novel. When asked if I had read it, I went "No. But I plan to". And they very kindly gave me a copy. And I am actually going to try and read all 736 pages this month. It's my reward for surviving Murder Month. This & Eowyn Ivey's To The Bright Edge of the World. Yes... So, am not reading this now, but I should be starting before this month is out so beware, Twitter/Facebook/Goodreads followers for very excitable updates!

A GAME OF THRONES by George R.R. Martin
This, my friends, is the big Mama! Just over 800 pages and with the tiniest type I've seen in a while, I have EVERY intention to read this book before the year is through. I'm thinking of reading this in October or November, strangely. Plus, as someone who hasn't seen the TV show (I watched the pilot with my Other Half and after we finished, he went "Nope. Not watching that! I mean, incest and pushing a child out of a window to his death - come on, Andrew! I know you like your TV shows slightly twisted, but this is taken it to a new level."), I am very intrigued to see what the fuss is about. But yes, I will planning on starting this book this year sometime... should I be scared?

No comments:

Post a Comment