Monday 1 June 2015

GoodRead - Speaking In Bones

I was very lucky to be given this via NetGalley from the US publisher, Bantam. Then I got a ARC from the UK publisher, Cornerstone. So I must thank both publishers for allowing me a chance to read this.

Also, dear readers, keep an eye on the blog in the next few days as I have plans linked to this book...

So, in Temperance Brennan 18th outing, she meets amatuer detective (or a web-sleuth) of Hazel 'Lucky' Strike. Lucky found a distressing audio file that could be linked to some unknown bones. While Tempe thinks it's highly unlikely, the girl's terrified voice on the audio recorder makes her look up the bones. But what started at trying to prove this wannabe detective wrong turns dark and Tempe finds herself wondering what she has walked into: a cult killing? A serial killer? Something out of this world? Or something much darker?

If you have followed my blog for a while, you would know I am a fan of Kathy Reichs and I do dip in and out of the series. Plus, I did read the last 40-odd percent in a ill-ish haze so I apologise in advance if my review doesn't make much sense.

As a fan, I did like it. We had a crime that had a load of twists, a subject matter that isn't tackled and we have the tech knowhow of bones. While, at the same time, we have Tempe's private life gets slowly more and more messier by the second. Her mother, her daughter and her on-again, off-again boyfriend. It's a nice mix so the book doesn't become too dark and heavy.

It also helps that we have Tempe's snarky humour. I like my books to have an edge of humour in there, somewhere.

However, I did have problems. This is me, of course I will find problems!

While the case is a standalone so is good for anyone - fans of the series or newcomer alike - tempe's backstory could be a tad overwhelming for fans. The last Tempe book I read in the series was Bones of the Lost, missing the book in-between (Bones Never Lie), and even I had a moment where I went "Wait, hang on...".

Now, this is probably something that happened when I did my mad last 40-odd percent reading haze when not feeling great, but there was something about this story that feels off. I can't put my finger on it. But it felt off compared to the other Kathy Reichs books I have read.

But I did enjoy this read and I am excited to read more Tempe in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment