Sunday 17 May 2015

The Librarian and Dead Game - Mini Reviews

Never written one of these. No, that's a lie. I think I have, but I can't remember when. Oh well... I am writing this on my day off and with Bagheera asleep on my jumper (he's been playing for the past few hours!). And I am going to blitz these two in one go. So... hang on to your hats...

The Librarian is a live recording from Welcome to Night Vale, where the team went touring with this through the US and in Europe last year (I couldn't go to the London events - COME BACK TO THE UK, NIGHT VALE!!!) so if you are huge Night Vale fans, you might have listened to this. I only listened to this today!

A terrible thing has happened to Night Vale - a librarian has escaped!

I don't know what else to say, apart from that. This is for the fans really. Newcomers to Night Vale wouldn't get the humour and might get confused over why the show is trying to make the scary normal. This is very much for the fans (which I am). And I really like it!

Which is good as an actual book is coming out at the end of the year and I CAN NOT WAIT FOR IT!!!


There's not much I could say... So, moving onto something that Michelle from Tales of Yesterday got me involved in this month, which is the Point Horror Book Club. Now, I was never a Point Horror fan while growing up. I don't like horror in general, but when Michelle asked if I wanted to read this month's read, The Dead Game, I thought why not? Sounds like fun...

Linnie, Jackson and Ming find themselves surrounded by fakers in their school. So, they decide to play a game - The Dead Game, in which they pull a name out of the hat and then they have to "kill" the target (aka publicly humiliation). But things get out of hand quickly. One target had to go to hospital and the other... the other died. 

Is the game playing itself? Or is someone playing the game, completing the list no matter the consequence? 

Ok, here is the thing. This was a quick fast read, but it's very much a product of the time. It fits the 90s and I bet that if I read this in my teens, I would have been on the edge of my seat. But, reading it now, I knew where the story was going and I just felt myself sighing over it. 

And the ending. Ok, the ending bothered me. A lot. It came out of nowhere and there was no clues to this ending. It felt like a cheap plot twist. 

I might take part in another Point Horror BookClub read soon... maybe... Next month's pick of Teacher's Pet by Richie Tankersley Cusick and I have always been intrigued by that cover... 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for joining in with point horror book club Andrew ... Until next time! *evil laugh*

    ReplyDelete