Wednesday 26 June 2013

GoodRead - The Runaway Queen

As you might be aware, after I read the first Bane Chronicles story, What Really Happened In Peru (if you haven't read and feel brave, here's the link for your pleasure), I was very disappointed. Disappointed and a tiny bit peeved. I made a decision after writing the review to stay away from the rest of the stories till either a story came up where the blurb grabs me (so wait for the Alec/Magnus stories) or wait till all the stories are released and read them in one go.

So when Sean from Walker Books asked if I fancied a code to get a copy of the second tale in the Bane Chronicles, I surprised even myself and went "Sure". I can only think of a few reasons why which are: Maureen Johnson (who co-wrote this story with Cassandra Clare), the story sounded kinda decent and SURELY the Runaway Queen can't be as bad as What Really Happened in Peru...

In the height of the French Revolution, Magnus is staying in Paris. When we join our hero, he is on his way to ride a hot air balloon (after he thought it was be great one wine-fuelled evening). But, due to weather conditions, it never happens. He returns home to find a handsome count (with black hair and blue eyes), asking Magnus for his help to rescue the French Royal Family...

Now, I went into this with very low expectations. After What Really Happened in Peru, I held very little hope with this story. And, to my surprise, I enjoyed this. There was a story! And it was a good story at that! It was enjoyable and fun sunny read (which was perfect as I was in the garden one sunny afternoon with a glass of Diet Coke).

I do wish the story was a bit longer and more indepth and I wish that this was published before What Really Happened in Peru (I fear that story lost several fans). But that's not Walker Books fault so I don't hold you to account, dear publisher.

Now, on some of the reviews I've read, I was interested over Magnus's attention. He agreed to the count's plea for help as, according to some reviews I read, Magnus was feeling... er... randy. That's right. To these reviews, Magnus had a crush on this guy. Which makes me want to know more about Magnus's psychology and he's need to be loved. Maybe this issue is tackled in the latter books of the Mortal Instruments series (books 4 to 6, which I am very wary of going near)...

So, I enjoyed this story more than the first installment of the Bane Chronicles. Maybe there is hope with this series. Or maybe I should stick with the stories that Cassandra writes alone or with Maureen Johnson and steer clear of Sarah Rees Brennan...

No comments:

Post a Comment