Monday 20 December 2010

GoodRead - Shade

I have to explain how I got Shade, because if I was in a bookshop, I won't pick this book up. I won it on Mountains of Instead. And it was a signed copy! So, after I had finished Nightshade, I wanted a short, fun-looking read to get over Matched and Nightshade, so I picked this up!

Now, the book. Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and talk to ghosts. She finds this gift annoying and wishes that she can't see the violet-colour ghosts anymore. But when her boyfriend, Logan, suddenly and unexpectedly dies, Aura reconsiders. Surely a violet ghost Logan is better than no Logan at all, right? But as Aura slowly comes to terms with Logan's death, she grows closer to a new exchange student, Zachary who is kind, supportive and, more importantly, alive...

Like I said before, this isn't my usual read. And, maybe because of that, my reaction to this book is very middle of the room. You can also said that, because I had strong reactions to Nightshade and Matched, it would be hard (or near possible) for me to like this book.

Because of this, I can see why I like the book and why I had problems with Shade. Let's start with the why I didn't warm to the book and then go all positive and praising this book after.

Okay, I don't like writing negative about books. And I think the reason I had problems with this book was that this was the first book in a series. It asked more questions than answered. But I guess that with a series, you can get the answers in the upcoming books in the series.

Another reason I think I had problems with the book was the love triangle between Aura, dead Logan and alive Zachary. Most people's blogs (and the reviews on Amazon.co.uk) will disagree with me, but I felt the love triangle felt lacklustre. It didn't feel right, somehow. There was more than one occasion where I thought the only reason that Aura liked them was because both Logan and Zachary had accents.

But – BUT – this book has redeemable qualities. The characters were likeable and I really liked Jeri Smith-Ready's writing. But what held my attention was the idea of the Shift itself and its aftermath. How does something so simple like children born after a precise date and them seeing ghosts and angry Shades affect everyday life? You wear red, you might have to go to court to translate what the ghost says to the Pre-Shifters, everyday life changes because of this one mysterious event...

Did I like the book? I think I did, yes. Did I love it? Not really, no. But just because I didn't love Shade, doesn't mean other people haven't. I have read several reviews through the blogsphere including Wondrous Reads & The Mountains of Instead who loved this book. But, this book isn't me. Like I said at the start of the blog, this isn't my usual read. Would I consider reading the sequel, Shift? I think I would investigate it. As long as it gives me some answers, I would investigate...

*

As for music on this book, I will use the music the author herself talks about in this interview...

For Logan: “If I Ever Leave This World Alive” by Flogging Molly


For Aura: “Chasing Cars” by Snow Patrol


For Zachary: “I Will Possess Your Heart” by Death Cab for Cutie

No comments:

Post a Comment